I love making pizza from scratch and I recently found a new crust recipe that is just fabulous!
We’ve given up meat for 2014, and this is a great vegetarian pizza! It’s the fresh mozzarella and the unlikely ingredients of corn and broccoli that make it so awesome!
Napoli Style Pizza Dough (adapted from Grandbaby Cakes)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon yeast
1/4 cup water heated up to 110 to 115 degrees
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1- 1 1/2 tablespoons of quality olive oil to coat the bowl
1. Heat 1/4 cup of water to a temperature between 110 – 115 degrees
2. Add the yeast and sugar to the water and let sit for 5 minutes, until it looks good and foamy
3. While the yeast is getting foamy, add the all-purpose flour and salt to a medium sized bowl and combine the dry mixture with a whisk.
4. Next, add the 3/4 cup warm water and yeasty sugar water and stir to make sure everything is mixed together.
5. Do a little kneading and form a ball.
6. Take a large bowl and coat with quality olive oil. Add the dough to the bowl, cover with a kitchen towel, and let rise in a warm place. I typically set my oven to 170 degrees and let it rise in there for an hour to an hour and a half.
Ok now that you have your pizza dough ready let’s get your topping ingredients together:
1/3 cup sweet corn kernels
1/2 red pepper chopped
1 head of broccoli florets cut into small pieces
fresh mozzarella sliced
sweet onion minced
2 or 3 shredded leaves of kale
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees with your pizza stone in the oven
2. Roll out your pizza dough, lay it on the heated pizza stone and poke lots of little holes on it with fork
3. Pre-bake your dough for about 8 minutes, once it comes out of the oven bring the temperature down to 375
4. Spread on the pesto evenly with a spoon
5. Add your sliced fresh mozzarella
6. layer on your toppings
7. Bake your pizza for about 15 minutes